Tuesday, November 27, 2012

SMRT bus drivers' strike

It's interesting how the SMRT bus drivers strike has evolved. When I first read ST's headline "SMRT bus drivers protest against pay", I was surprised that they didn't call it a strike. I went online and found out that other papers also didn't mention word of a strike. This puzzled me to the point I had to go to dictionary.com to check if my understanding of the word is still correct.
strike (noun) a concerted stopping of work or withdrawal of workers' services, as to compel an employer to accede to workers' demands or in protest against terms or conditions imposed by an employer.
By refusing to call a strike a strike, one really has to wonder what these newspapers are trying to do. Mr Brown also made fun of the choice of words.

No comments:

Post a Comment